XXXVIII International Festival
Information about the Festival
The organizer of the International Festival of Orthodox Church Music “Hajnówka” in Bialystok is the “Orthodox Church Music” Foundation in Hajnówka.
We have held the Festival annually since 1982. So far, 869 choirs from 40 countries from Europe, Asia, North America, Africa and Australia have participated in the Festival. We hosted choirs from Armenia, Australia, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Italy, India, Iran, Israel, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Korea, Lebanon, Lithuania, Latvia, Macedonia, Moldova, Poland, Russia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States and Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro).
The aim of the International Festival of Orthodox Church Music “Hajnówka” in Bialystok is to present the great artistic and spiritual values of Orthodox Church music. Its program also creates opportunities for discussions, meetings, exchanges of experiences and forming new relationships between participants from different environments – thus enriching its aims with aesthetic and educational objectives.
The Festival takes place under the Patronage of the President of Poland as well as the Patronage of the Polish Ministry of Culture and the Artistic Patronage of prof. Krzysztof Penderecki.
Choirs participating in the Festival`s competition are judged by an international jury in the following categories: amateur (parish and secular), children and youth, music academies and professional. In 1995, the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage qualified the International Festival of Orthodox Music „Hajnówka” in Bialystok to the musical art events at the highest level, giving it a „zero category”, same as International Fryderyk Chopin Piano Competition and the International Festival of Contemporary Music „Warsaw Autumn”, and thus the most famous Polish world music events.
- We have been organizing the International Festival of Orthodox Church Music „Hajnówka” annually, every May since 1982.
- Mixed, male and female choirs (max. 35 singers in choir) both from Poland and from abroad are able to participate in the Festival in the following categories:
- amateur choirs:
- music academy choirs
- professional choirs
- The category and the authenticity of each amateur choir should be personally confirmed by its artistic manager.
- The repertoire should contain no less than five Orthodox Church music pieces, while the time to perform them should be about 18-20 minutes.
- Applications should be sent to the Organizer’s Office by 20 December 2018.
- The organizers will inform choirs whether they’ve qualified for the Festival by the end of January 2019.
- Choirs qualified and invited to participate in the Festival are requested to submit the following information by the end of February 2019.
- The performances of the choirs are estimated by the international jury presided by Prof. Romuald Twardowski based on the following criteria:
- All participating choirs will receive commemorative diplomas. The best choirs will be awarded with prizes. The choirs appointed by the jury are obliged to take part in the Gala Concert (in the same composition as during the qualifying auditions).
- The Organizers provide lodging and sustenance (3 meals a day).
- Participants cover their travel expenses and are to partly finance their visit through a money transfer (20 EURO per person per day) onto the organizers’ bank account to be made by 15 February 2019.
- A written resignation from the participation in the Festival before 1 March 2019 will allow the return of the transferred funds.
- Aside from participation in the Festival, the Organizers anticipate the choirs to perform in accompanying concerts (also using different repertoires).
- The organizers reserve unlimited right for recording, duplication and distribution of recorded concerts through various means. The choirs and their conductors do not receive any compensation for participation in the concerts or for eventual radio or TV recordings made during the Festival.
- All decisions of the regulations are final.
- Festival applications and any additional information may be obtained from:
a) parish choirs
b) secular choirs
c) children’s choirs
We recommend varying up the repertoire in its historical cross-section, as well as using contrasting tempos, dynamics, and forms.
Any changes in the repertoire can be reported until 15 March 2019.
a) phonetic titles and performance times of each composition
b) full names of their composers
c) a single copy of notes for each of the compositions included in the program.
a) choice of repertoire
d) artistic impression
of International Festival of Orthodox Church Music „Hajnówka” in Bialystok
Tamary Sołoniewicz 2, 17- 200 Hajnówka, Poland
tel./ fax. 0048 85 682 20 89 or 0048 85 682 32 02
Director of the Festival